Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pr'experience

It all started Freshman year of high school, there bout. Romeo & Juliet was the text. Then to Hamlet, round Sophomore year, and it's references and usage have yet to cease over the past several years (including primarily my College Sophomore year). Junior year it was King Lear. Senior year, Much Ado About Nothing was all the rage, but I missed out on Macbeth when it was free on stage. Although!, Othello's production was creatively wild because it was re-made, adapted Native style. I think back on what I've experienced with Shakespeare, and realize that I took R&J and King Lear for granted. Later on in my experience you notice my maturity, I suppose maturity is what you could call it. I look back and really appreciate my studies/experiences with Hamlet, Much Ado About Nothing, and Othello.

More recent thoughts: To improve at poetry has been a recent goal of mine. Over Christmas break instead of reading more I was writing raps and rhymes. So maybe once in a while I should improv (or structure in a timely fashion) a standard, A-G, Shakespearean sonnet.

To keep up my wishful thinking here's...Sonnet #1

I want your eyes, mind, and even ears all in
It's a new world, from plays to sonnets
The first few lines of my Shakespearean
Scribblin' lining up like bolts and what? Knuts

Yo, in the hole you gots only pens and pulp
If symbols and meanings come between us
Then it's the squirrel's world, nuts and bolts
Feed the needful thing, pursue it like Venus.

Think a Costanza extravaganza
Think Seinfeld, Much Ado About Nuttin'
I double-dipped with a pun last stanza
Have some food for thought! Drink up, too! Glutton!
I'm tired, going nuts, a crazy fella
Third time's a charm, paronomasia.

No comments:

Post a Comment